Sweet Potato Apple Pie
Sweet potatoes and apples brought together for this holiday classic. Leaving skins on sweet potatoes gives more fiber and nutrition. Enjoy the taste of your sweet potatoes without the additives!
Makes 8 servings
- 1, 2-inch slice per serving
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cold non-fat milk
- 2 cups cooked or canned sweet potatoes
- 1.5 cups apples
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons non-fat milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- Place sweet potatoes and apples in a microwave safe container and cover. Heat in microwave on high for 5 minutes or until apples are soft. Remove apples and microwave potatoes on high, another 2 – 4 minutes, until soft.
- [For a sweeter pie, roast sweet potatoes and apples at 425°F until soft]
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly oil an 8” or 9” glass pie dish with cooking oil or nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt with wire whisk. Stir in oil until mixed. Add milk until mixed completely.
- Place dough into middle of prepared glass pie plate. Spread dough out with hands covering the bottom of the plate and up the sides. Bake for 10 minutes and remove to cool.
- While crust is cooking, combine cooked sweet potatoes, apples, eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar, and spices. Place in a blender container or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into baked crust once cooled. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until center is set. Check pie halfway through cooking. If crust is becoming too brown, cover edges with foil.
- Cool before cutting. Serve immediately, and store leftover pie in the refrigerator.
- No time to bake the apples and potatoes? This filling can be prepared even quicker by using canned sweet potato or pumpkin filling, and applesauce.
- Serves 15-25 people
- three cans of Bush’s baked beans
- one can of pinto beans
- brown sugar
- regular sugar
- pineapple juice
- ground beef or ground turkey
- red bell peppers
- green bell peppers
Cooking the Meat
- Cook the meat for 5 minutes then add in chopped bell peppers and onions. Continue cooking meat until the meat turns brown and the veggies are soft.
- Once done set it aside.
Preparing the Beans
- Open the cans of beans and pour it in a baking tray with a fitted lid. Next add in the cooled meat.
- Mix the two together in the tray.
- Now add in your seasoning (brown and regular sugar, syrup, pineapple juice, cinnamon).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover and bake for 20-30 minutes.
- Let beans cool for 3 minutes before serving.