Episode 1—Green Papaya Salad
Nathan’s Cambodian Green Papaya Salad
Makes 8 servings
- 3/4 cup per serving
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 0 minutes
- 1 Green Papaya (about 3 cups peeled and grated) (please note in picture above: Use green papaya, on the right — very different from the traditional orange papaya, on the left)
- 4 gloves garlic
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 15 green beans, peeled, halved, seeded
- 10 large cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup dried shrimp, soaked in warm water
- red chili pepper
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- assorted mints
- pork rinds
- 3 T pure palm sugar
- 4 limes, juiced
- 1 tsp. shrimp paste
- 2 T frozen crab (liquid only)
- 1/4 cup anchovy fish sauce
- 1 T fish sauce
- In a large bowl, add palm sugar, lime juice, shrimp paste, frozen picked crab, anchovy fish sauce, and fish sauce. This is the lahong sauce.
- Stir ingredients together.
- With a mortar and a pestle, smash garlic until smooth.
- Pound thai chili peppers together with the garlic.
- Pound in shrimp, pickled crab, string beans, carrots, and papaya.
- Pour 1-2 ladles of the lahong sauce.
- Add tomatoes and pound gently.
- Plate and enjoy!